School Delays, Closings/Cancellations, and Early Releases
The school district will use every available resource in making the decision to cancel school because of inclement weather or unsafe road conditions. We sincerely ask and urge parents to help with the decision as far as their own children are concerned. If a parent’s judgment is that it is too hazardous to send his/her child to school, please keep your child at home.
Delays and Closures
If adverse weather conditions occur, the District Superintendent may delay the start of school for two hours or close all schools for the day. The procedure is as follows:
- Parents will be contacted about delays and closures by either email, text, or phone (whichever is indicated in your Parent Portal Account).
- Local radio/TV stations will be informed no later than 6:00 AM that the starting time for District 20 schools will be delayed by two hours or school closure. Please check your local radio/TV stations for updates on two delays that may turn into school closures.
- A two-hour delayed start means that school will begin at 10:45 AM. “Before school” activities will not be held.
- Morning Kindergarten WILL be held with a two-hour delay.
Early Release Due to Storm and/or Other Conditions
If School District 20 is in session when a storm develops, a decision may be made to send students home early. Local radio/TV stations will announce early dismissal times, and 20Alerts will be sent out. If the decision to release early is made (usually between 10:00 AM and 10:30 AM), each bus driver will be notified. They will make their regular runs in the same sequence as usual, and all students in District 20 will arrive home approximately two hours early.
- Be sure your child understands what he/she should do on early storm release days.
- The usual early release time for elementary students will vary.
- Each teacher will have a sign out sheet. Parents must sign for all students leaving with them. EACH CHILD MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR BEFORE BEING RELEASED.
- Children who have permission to walk home will be allowed to leave at the designated time. Those who are not to walk will be held until their parents, or someone who has been authorized to pick them up, comes for them.
- PLEASE BE SURE THAT EARLY RELEASE INFORMATION SUCH AS PHONE NUMBERS, ADDRESSES AND EMERGENCY CONTACTS ARE CURRENT. PLEASE UPDATE ALL INFORMATION REGULARLY IN YOUR PARENT PORTAL ACCOUNT.